Friday, September 12, 2008

The Members, #2: James Boonzaier

So, next up in our Members series is electric guitarist James Boonzaier from the once was band, Howard Roark. I think he read the answers from Doug's interview before answering the following questions.
  1. What are you studying? With the aim of doing what?

I’m studying a BSc in Electro-Mechanical Engineering with the aim of getting very very rich…so that Doug can sleep at my house. Because Desmond and the Tutus isn’t a very good band - they won’t be able to afford houses.

  1. Howard Roark behind you, what lies ahead? Any new exciting musical endeavours?

I’m currently practicing for my audition with Desmond and the Tutu’s. They’re the best band in the world.

…Jokes aside; since the split I’ve been writing quite a bit. No long term plans, but I’m looking at getting it all together towards the end of the year. Tell your friends.

  1. What do you do in your spare time?

I write songs. Don’t you listen? And I work on my very awesome motorcar known to many as Ringo. Ringo is a Volkswagen Beetle. He Is a boy. He is rad. He is almost new and very loud…almost like a rocket.

  1. Who has been your greatest musical influence over the years?

That would be the guitarist from Desmond and the Tutus. I don’t know his name. He’s the best guitarist in the world. Other than him: Sting, Nic Valensi. 60’s and 70‘s folk…I recommend: Steppenwolf, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Dylan, America (listen to Ventura Highway, then stone Janet Jackson.)

  1. What are you listening to at the moment?

Doug stole my answer…so aside from The Black Keys, Tuck Shop – Desmond and the Tutu’s (available from most Look ‘n Listen stores), Fleetwood Mac, aKing…and I must confess, there’s been a bit of the Howard Roark, Main Attraction EP (available from Ringo’s cubbyhole).

  1. Who is your favourite South African band at the moment?

Desmond and the Tutus. But I like all South African music exactly the same amount.

  1. If there was an internationally recognised band that needed an electric guitarist, what band would you like to play for?

Thieve. They’re not actually internationally recognised yet. They’re from Durbanville. They asked me to play for them last year, but ironically, now that I’m available, they don’t want me anymore. This is not a joke. Thieve is going to be better than Desmond and the Tutus.

  1. Do your dreams for the future lie in music or in engineering or both?

Well, obviously if it happens, music, but that depends whether I get that spot with Desmond and the Tutus. If I don’t I definitely won’t be doing engineering. It’s boring. I’m going into Industrial Design when I finish my course. I’m planning to study design in Europe; probably England or the Netherlands.

  1. Finally, do you read blogs? If so, which are your top 3 frequented blogs?

I don’t speak Klingon…what’s a blog?


So thats James. He is not as much of a retard as he lets on in this interview. Watch out for an interview with Dave from NLR soon.

1 comment:

This Is Not An Exit said...

Yo.

We dig your blog. And, if you visit http://thisisjhb.blogspot.com perhaps you will dig ours too.

Pretty soon we'll make it to China.