Friday, September 4, 2009

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug album thoughts

Arctic Monkeys have recently released another album, Humbug. It is very cool. I have a few blog bffs who have reviewed the album already. I have abstained from reading their perceptions on account of not wanting to be swayed on my initial personal judgment of the album.

First thoughts: different, but great. There are sounds that blend 'typical' Arctic Monkeys music with that of The Shadow Puppets debut venture (which was a huge success by the way).

Their songs are still full of clever lyrics compiled with Alex Turner's genius insight into word usage. But there is somewhat less to jump around to in this album. Many of the tracks are in between lose-yourself-with-your-crazy-dancing-shoes and drift-into-505-mode. While you are encouraged to bob your head and tap your big toe, you are not inspired to get your sweat on with a crazy German audience (like I did in 07 to Favourite Worst Nightmare).

I think if give it a chance, you are bound to 'dig it'!

Track listing:
1. "My Propeller"
2. "Crying Lightning"
3. "Dangerous Animals"
4. "Secret Door"
5. "Potion Approaching"
6. "Fire and the Thud"
7. "Cornerstone"
8. "Dance Little Liar"
9. "Pretty Visitors"
10. "The Jeweller's Hands"

I am going to read these reviews now:
Luca
Lines of Oration

1 comment:

Double Hawk said...

Hey, thanks! I originally thought it deserved a 3.5/5, but then I changed it to 3, but now it's back at 3.5. It took a few listens, but it's really growing on me. I absolutely loved 'Pretty Visitors' and 'Secret Door'. I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph.