Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Richard Wouters inspires...

So, the drummer from Civil Twilight, Richard Wouters, has selected his 8 favourite songs. This is pretty timely, as just yesterday I was asking where all the good music has gone. Although he hasn't selected too much new music, it's helpful for us to not forget what has made us 'happy' in the past.

Thanks Rich. This list is great. I can really appreciate a lot of the tracks he's chosen. If you don't get his choices, check out the reasons below each song.

Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
I love this whole album. In fact, our whole band has been getting into it and really enjoying it. It’s a super creative and fun album that seems to transport one to a magical world of sounds and pictures, melodies, rhythms and harmonies that the Beach Boys would be proud of.

Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days
Still glorious, if you don’t mind the cheezy pun. Lately, I’ve been enjoying Bruce more than just about anything else. He wrote so many good songs, it’s a bit ridiculous. This is one of my favorites of his. It’s a happy song and I love the changes on the verses.

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun
Another favorite that never gets old. There’s something about this song and the way it’s played and sung that is so appealing. It never fails to make me feel like the day is just beginning and everything is new and life is good.

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
I’m a bit of a sucker for a good melody, with a simple groove and some sunny harmonies thrown on top. This song epitomizes what I love about that sound. It’s both severely nostalgic and refreshingly fresh.

The National - Fake Empire
Such a great band. I never get tired of this album. Anthemic, moody, heart-felt songs by a band that has recently matured in the most satisfying way.

Bat for Lashes - Daniel
I’ve been a fan of hers for a while. She does unique stuff that is sonically super interesting. I like the UK 80s dance edge that this track has. In parts, it’s reminiscent of some very cool stuff from two decades ago.

Taylor Swift - Love Story
This is totally a guilty pleasure. I don’t even know why I like this song (and I cant believe I’m admitting it), but whenever it comes on the radio, I find it hard to turn it off. It’s just such a wonderfully crafted little pop song. It makes me feel nostalgic in a weird teenage girl kind of way. Like I’m inside their mind or something. Hmmm, strange, I know.

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
I think everyone is going through a bit of a Michael phase right now. I’ve been a huge fan of his music over the years. He’s put out so much great stuff. This is one of my favorites. It’s just so right on every level. One of the greatest pop songs ever, in my opinion.

Notice that Two Weeks is the song from the fan video from my previous post.

There you have it. These guys are a great band. For more Civil Twilight love, click here.

Original Source

No comments: