Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Members, #4: Richard Brokensha

So, next up in our prestigious Members' series is Richard Brokensha from Pretoria. He is a member of two awesome bands up there. Kidofdoom and Isochronous. Isochronous recently played a couple gigs in Cape Town for the first time. They rocked out and stole fans. Check my review of the gig.

He plays guitar and lead vocals for Isochronous and he plays guitar and synth for Kidofdoom.

  1. How long have you been playing music?


10 years

  1. What was the first instrument you played?


Piano

  1. How many instruments can you play now?


I can play 8 instruments. They are; Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Voice, Trumpet, Cautro, Accordian.

  1. What do you do with your life when you are not making music?


I'm always making music, but I usually chill with my girlfriend, or fly fish when I have a break, which isn’t often.

  1. What are you hoping to achieve with the release of the Isochronous album?


A new look on music and a deeper meaning and understanding from the public towards rock music.

  1. Not many people know or will ever know how it feels to play in a band, let alone two bands. How does it feel to be a part of two successful bands?


It is quite an overwhelming sensation, especially the feeling while performing; both bands have quite a different aura to each other and they allow me to express different parts of my personality accordingly.

  1. Is it difficult at times?


It can be quite difficult, I don’t get much time to spend with my friends and family and focusing on my studies whilst playing all the time is quite intense, but it's my love for the music that keeps me going,

  1. If Isochronous could tour the world with one International act, who would it be?


Mew, because they are probably the most unique and intelligent rock bands at the moment

  1. What are you listening to (music wise) at the moment?


Quite a bit of Electronica, like Telepopmusiek and Lamb, but I always return to Mew and Jeff Buckley.

  1. Where do you find most of your inspiration for your song writing?


Inspiration comes from within my soul and mind. I try dig deep into my sub conscious and accept certain things about myself to allow my relationships and understanding of life to be enhanced, then I try write it in a way that allows the normal person on the street to relate to the lyrics. Marko also writes a lot of the lyrics.

  1. Why has it taken so long for Isochronous to get down to Cape Town when Kidofdoom has been down quite a few times in the last year?


We have been creating a professional performance and felt that the time is right now.

  1. Would you agree with people when they say Isochronous has at times hints of a Kidofdoom sound?


The only reason for this is because I am in both bands and aspects of my expression will surely come out in the music. It’s like a person’s accent when speaking a language. When you speak to different people your accent still remains the same.

  1. Anything else?


Check out our Myspace and join our Facebook

group.



So that's all from Richard. Short and sweet.


Nice.

No comments: